Saturday, March 20, 2010

As I'm sitting at the hospital

http://www.friscoenterprise.com/articles/2010/03/09/frisco_enterprise/news/741.txt#share

Mother shares thoughts after son hit by car

Published: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:44 PM CST
Jordan, 9, of Frisco was hit by a car Monday morning as he walked to Sparks Elementary. His mother, Kellie Masinelli, shares these thoughts the day after.


It was the call you never want to get, I think, as I sit here at the hospital with my son, Jordan, just waiting for God to do his healing.

It was like any other “rainy” day. When rain is in the forecast, we have to walk to school, only about three blocks. We have him cross only the streets that have stop signs and tell him to cross at the crosswalk.

From the reports we got, is that he stepped out at the wrong time and at the wrong spot. There is a second sidewalk, but the school zones are not covering this area and with no crossing guard, they walk down two more blocks, so they don't have to cross Twin Falls.

As I was getting ready this morning, I could hear the fire truck siren. I stop and say a prayer, always! This morning was a little different. right after the sirens stopped, I got a call.

As soon as the man on the other end of the line, said he was with the fire department, I just yelled, "Is he hit? Is he hit?”

The man told me where he was and I just ran out of the house yelling to my husband that Jordan was hit by a car. And I just bolted out the door and started running...

I flagged down a white pick up truck and he picked me up and I was telling him that my son was hit by a car and he took me right to the accident. All the while, he was calming me down.

Another mom gave me her sweater and her flip-flops, since I ran out of the home with no shoes on. God Bless all the Angels that God sent us.

The people that were there when he was hit and who were able to talk to Jordan, I'm not sure if they got my number from his backpack or if Jordan gave it to them. He can't remember that part.

As I rode to the hospital in the helicopter, I just could not stop thinking about my precious baby lying on the ground and that I wasn't there with him to hold him. As a mom, I feel guilty that I don't take him to school. It's just a few blocks. People will certainly see the kids and drive slower.

The result of this, hopefully, is to get the city to recognize that the entire length of the school zone should encompass a little more of where the kids walk to school. “

Twenty is Plenty” and I am a 100% supporter of this. I know that if I'm in a school zone, that just because the school zone is 30 or 35, if there are kids around, because you never know what they will do, I will slow down. It is just what you do.

But the result of today's accident is that Jordan did get two small skull fractures, there is a little more bleeding of the soft tissue inside the brain and the hematoma on the outside of the brain, but he is doing good and they'll keep him here a night or two.

We've been hearing about prayers and people calling from everywhere about our precious son Jordan, who actually just turned 9 in January. Thank you to everyone everywhere praying...

Sparks Elementary is a very caring school and has been very supportive. The kids all drew cards and his teacher came to visit and I've been in touch with the principal all day.

My son is doing much better now. It looks like we are in the homestretch and

can head back home to Frisco tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment